Little wholemeal-wholegrain treats for breakfast or snacks
You will need (makes 15):
125 g stoneground wholegrain spelt flour (Doves Farm)
125 g stoneground strong wholemeal flour (Bacheldre)
1/2 tsp baking soda (bicarbonate of soda / sodium bicarbonate)
1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 to 2 scant tbsp coconut palm sugar (coconut blossom nectar)
45 g unsalted butter
100 ml buttermilk
1 small egg, to brush
1. Mix the two flour together, add baking soda, baking powder, salt and coconut sugar. Mix well.
2. Rub in the butter, until crumbly.
3. Add buttermilk little by little to bring the dough together.
4. Gently knead for a minute or two.
5. Roll out the dough, about an inch thick, then cut out with a round cutter (I have used a 5.5 cm cutter).
6. Arrange on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Brush with lightly beaten egg, and bake in a preheated oven at 190 °C for about 15 to 20 mins.
7. Let the scones cool on a wire rack. Enjoy!
Allergy: Gluten, Dairy, Egg. No nut. No yeast. No beet or cane sugar.
Tips: Serve as they are, plain, or with the classic butter-jam-cream trio, or with fresh berries, or something savoury, like smoked salmon, or ham and avocado.
You might also like: