Melt in the mouth liver with creamy cauliflower mash
You will need:
500 g chicken liver (organic only!!)
2 medium onions
3 garlic cloves
1 fresh bay leaf
1 tsp ghee
1 heaped tsp dried marjoram (Origanum majorana)
1/3 tsp whole caraway seeds
1/3 tsp ground cumin
1 pinch ground cinnamon
1 medium-large head cauliflower
1 medium bunch flat leaf parsley
1 tbsp ghee
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 pinch Himalayan salt
1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
freshly ground black pepper
chopped fresh parsley
sauerkraut, to serve
1. In a thick bottomed skillet or pan melt the ghee, then brown the sliced onions.
Use a wide pan where the liver can be arranged in a single layer, so it can be cooked undisturbed without stirring.
2. Wash and clean the livers and cut in half or quarter them, then add them to the lightly browned onions.
3. Season generously with dried marjoram, whole caraway seeds, ground cumin, and ground cinnamon. Add the bay leaf and the thinly sliced garlic too. Gently fold in, so the onions, livers, herbs & spices all combine. Cook on medium heat till the liver starts to brown a little here and there.
4. Add a splash of filtered water, cover with a lid, and gently cook for 15 to 20 mins.
While the liver is cooking prepare the cauli mash:
5. Break the cauliflower into small florets, put them in a tall pan, cover with just enough water, and bring to boil. Cook for 6 to 8 mins, until tender.
6. Drain. Add the gee to the hot cauli. Season with fresh parsley leaf (use it liberally), black pepper, salt and nutmeg.
7. Use a hand blender for a few seconds to mix the cauli and the seasoning together so they blend nicely (it shouldn't be baby-food smooth).
Place a good portion of the cauli mash on the plate, top with the chicken liver, season with freshly ground black pepper, sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley. Don't forget the sauerkraut! Enjoy!
[i] For more GAPS recipe ideas please visit my GAPS recipes selection.