Simple dal to rock your veg and basmati rice
You will need:
1 cup split red lentils
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1 medium tomato
For the fried garnish you will need:
2 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp whole black mustard seeds
1 tsp whole cumin seeds
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
pinch of dried red chili flakes
1 cm fresh ginger root
2 cloves of garlic
1 medium onion
1 bay leaf
few pinches of freshly ground black pepper
1/3 tsp ground turmeric
1/3 tsp ground coriander
1/3 tsp garam masala (see link how to make)
1. Wash the lentils well, in plenty of water, several times, until water stays clear. Drain and pat the bottom of the sieve dry.
2. Put well drained lentils in a pan, add 3 cups of water, season with ground turmeric, and bring to boil. Reduce to simmer, loosely cover with a lid and gently cook for 30 mins.
3. Heat the oil in a heavy pan. Add the seeds: black mustard, cumin, and fenugreek, and fry for a few seconds in the hot oil on medium-low heat.
4. Add dried red chili flakes, bay leaf, finely chopped onions, minced ginger and garlic. Fry for 8 to 10 mins, until the onion turns golden brown.
5. Add ground turmeric, coriander and garam masala. Fry for a minute or two.
6. Drop the tomato into boiling water and cook for 2 mins. Remove, peel off the skin, mash with a fork, discard the core, and push the pulp through a sieve to remove the seeds.
7. Add tomato and fried spices-onion-ginger to the lentils, and gently cook for 10 to 15 mins.
8. Season with black pepper (to taste). Serve with veg and rice, garnish with coriander leves. Enjoy!
Allergy: Mustard. No gluten. No dairy. No egg. No nut.
More Indian recipe ideas:
Paneer in tomato sauce
Green pea biryani
Chickpea and potato curry