Fragrant coconut swirls baked to perfection
My auntie used to make these adorable biscuits. I was always happy to visit over every celebration time because these coconut swirls were always on the table, and first to go. Here is my adapted, less sugary version.
You will need:
400 g plain flour
200 g butter
15 g fresh yeast
1 tsp home-made vanilla sugar (unrefined raw cane sugar)
1 tsp coconut palm sugar (coconut blossom nectar)
50 ml warm coconut milk (Koko Dairy Free Original + Calcium)
4 large eggs yolk
a pinch of salt
For the coconut filling:
4 large egg whites
100 g coconut palm sugar (coconut blossom nectar)
250 g desiccated coconut
2. In a large mixing bowl combine flour, salt, coconut palm sugar, butter, egg yolks and dissolved yeast till forms a dough.
3. Over gently boiling water beat the egg whites, adding the coconut palm sugar halfway, till forms a stiff peak. Gently fold in the desiccated coconut.
4. Divide the dough in three.
5. Roll out the first into a 4 mm thick flat and spread over the 1/3 of the coconut filling. Roll it up and cut into 1 cm thick slices.
6. Line the swirls on a baking tray lined with baking paper, and bake in the preheated oven at 180°C for about 20 mins till the coconut filling is golden. Let them cool on a wire rack.
7. Repeat the steps 5 and 6 with the remaining two parts.
Allergy: gluten, egg, dairy, yeast.