Tender, juicy venison with soft courgette and crunchy cucumber
You will need (feeds 3 to 4):
750 g venison, diced
2 fresh onions with greens
2 fat garlic cloves
3 tbsp sliced salo (salted, unrendered pork fat or raw fatback)
3 fresh onions with greens
1 bay leaf
5 young courgettes
2 generous tbsp thinly sliced salo
pinch of Himalayan rock salt
1. Thinly slice the salo (szalonna) for the base of the ragout. On a medium-low heat gently fry the slices to release the fat.
2. Add the finely chopped onions and cook for a few minutes until the onions are softened and lightly coloured.
3. Add the diced meat and fry for a few minutes until it browned a little. Add water to cover the meat, put on a lid, bring to boil. Reduce the heat to lowest, season with the bay leaf, add the chopped onion greens, and gently cook for 45 to 55 mins. Shake the pot occasionally and check for water to top it up a little if needed.
4. For the courgette side: peel the courgettes, quarter them lengthwise, remove the seedy middle and chop the flesh.
5. On a medium-low heat gently fry the thinly sliced salo to release the fat.
6. Add the chopped courgette, stir and cook for a few mins, then cover with a lid and let it soften for 8 to 10 mins. Season with a bit of salt.
7. Serve the two together piping hot. Enjoy!
Tip: If you can't get your hands on salo (pork fat), use lard or duck fat instead. Feel free to spice it up with fresh parsley.