The perfect finish of the old year and the perfect start of the new
There is something about this soup. The dried porcini, the sauerkraut and the two sausages are just in perfect harmony with each other. A steaming hot bowl of acidulated soup is a good way out of the old and into the new.
You will need (feeds 3 people for 2 to 3 days):
8 pork chipolata sausages (340 ), gluten- and nitrate-free
4 inches of chorizo
650 g sauerkraut
60 g dried porcini
2 or 3 whole black peppercorns, freshly grounded
a good pinch of Himalayan rock salt
3 l bone broth (I have used the leg of pork cooking liquid)
1. Soak the porcini mushrooms in cold water overnight or for 30 to 45 mins in warm water.
Tip: Soaking will rehydrate the mushrooms and loosen all the small forest bits and pieces, dirt, pine needles, etc.
2. Drain, rinse with fresh water and cook in plenty of water for about 30 mins. Let the mushrooms cool down in the cooking liquid.
3. Slice the chorizo (not too thin) and gently fry in a wide pan on the lowest setting until the slices get some light colour, then turn and fry the other sides too.
4. Bring the bone broth to gentle boil. Add the pork chipolata sausages, the roughly chopped sauerkraut, and the cooked mushrooms. Season with the freshly ground black pepper and the salt. Loosely cover with a lid and gently cook on the lowest setting for about 30.
5. Add the chorizo slices and cook for further 10 to 15 mins. Serve hot and enjoy!
[i] Pork Chipolata Sausages Ingredients: pork (95%), vegetable flakes, natural pork casings, salt, black pepper, thyme.
Chorizo de Leon (Unearthed) Ingredients: pork, paprika (2%), salt, garlic.
To see the whole New Year's Eve GAPS menu, please follow the link.
[i] For more GAPS recipe ideas please visit my GAPS recipes selection.