GAPS and PALEO-friendly antipasti
The Christmas cold meat board was a great success. I was asked to assemble another one for the New Year's Eve feast. For this plank the antipasti are: Roasted leg of pork, Prosciutto crudo, Chorizo de Leon, Chicken liver, Smoked salmon, Green olives and Cranberry sauce.
The ROASTED LEG OF PORK is the same but without the honey. I have brushed it with a bit of home-made lard during roasting to make the skin extra crispy.
For the CHICKEN LIVER you will need:
400 g fresh chicken liver
4 generous tbsp duck or goose fat
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
a good pinch of Himalayan rock salt
1. Wash and clean the livers. Cut a liver in three pieces: cut the bigger piece in half and leave the smaller one in one piece. Pat them dry.
2. In a wide pan or pot heat the fat to medium hot, add the chicken liver pieces and flash-fry them until all the sides got pale colour.
3. Cover with a lid and cook on the lowest setting for 8 to 12 mins.
4. Take the pan off the heat, season the liver with freshly ground black pepper and Himalayan rock salt, and let it cool down. Transfer the liver pieces into a glass container with a lid and rest it in the fridge overnight.
The CRANBERRY SAUCE is the same but with a hint of orange zest.
1. Slice the roasted pork and place the slices on two opposite sides of the board.
2. Roll up few slices of prosciutto and place them next to the roasted pork slices. Add some green olives.
3. Peel off the skin of the chorizo, slice and place the slices next to the roasted pork.
4. Put some smoked salmon slices in the remaining corner, add some lemon wedges too.
5. Place some chicken liver pieces in the middle of the board, decorate them with toothpicks (add some gherkins if you can find one without sugar or firming agent or other silly additives).
6. Place the cranberry sauce next to the roasted pork.
7. Share and enjoy!
[i] Chorizo de Leon (Unearthed) Ingredients: pork, paprika (2%), salt, garlic.
Smoked salmon (Inverawe) Ingredients: Salmon (97%), sea salt, oak smoke.
Green olives (Gaea) Ingredients: green olives, water, sea salt, lemon juice.
To see the whole New Year's Eve GAPS menu, please follow the link.
[i] For more GAPS recipe ideas please visit my GAPS recipes selection.