Cold cuts with playful shapes, exciting flavours and cheerful colours
Smoked salmon, chicken liver and dated wrapped in Parma ham, cooked chorizo, hard boiled egg and salmon caviar on cucumber slices and crispy lettuce leaves - a feast for 5 senses.
For this happy union of favours you will need:
2 ridge cucumbers
little gem lettuce
salmon caviar (salmon roe, salt cured fish eggs)*
400 g chicken liver + 2 large onions + 2 tbsp coconut oil
4 medjool dates
8 slices prosciutto / Parma ham*
1 chorizo stick (lightly spiced Spanish cured pork sausage)*
1. In a pan melt the coconut oil, add the thinly sliced onions, cook for 5 mins to soften, then add the cleaned chicken liver, toss to cover the liver pieces with the oily onion. Cover with a lid and gently cook for 30 to 40 mins. Optionally, you can prepare your liver with more spices.
2. Pit the dates, cut them in half. Wrap a piece of chicken liver and a date half in a thin slice of Parma ham. Arrange the wraps on a baking tray (I used pyrex, no need for baking paper, no need to grease) and place the tray into a preheated oven and roast at 180 C for 15 mins until crispy. Let them cool down.
3. Mash or puree the leftover chicken liver to make a pâté. You can add a generous tbsp ghee to enrich the flavour, if you like. Put the pate into the fridge until serving, to firm up a bit.
4. Cook the dry chorizo stick on low heat, gently simmering for about 35 to 40 mins. Let it cool down in the cooking liquid.
5. Gently lover the eggs into boiling water and cook for 15 mins, then transfer the eggs into a bowl of cold water and let them cool down. Gently tap the shells with a spoon and remove them easily, then slice the eggs with and egg slicer.
6. Slice the cucumbers into thicker slices. Decorate few with thin smoked salmon sliced (arranged into blooming rose shapes), few with salmon roe pearls, few with hald boiled egg slices, and few with cooked chorizo slices.
7. Rinse and separate the lettuce leaves. Cut the liver-date wraps in half and place each half on a lettuce leaf. Spoon some liver pâté on a lettuce heart half.
8. Add some hard boiled egg quarters to the board with a few extra liver wrap halves. Serve. Share. Enjoy!
[*] Inverawe Organic Smoked Salmon INGREDIENTS: Salmon (97%), sea salt, oak smoke. Cold smoked.
Elsinore Salmon caviar INGREDIENTS: Pacific salmon roe (96.5%), salt.
Unearthed Italian Riserva Prosciutto Crudo INGREDIENTS: Pork (94%), salt.
Unearthed Chorizo de Leon INGREDIENTS: Pork, paprika (2%), salt, garlic.
Tip: Please note that egg is not an AIP ingredient and the chorizo is neither because of paprika (nightshade).
To see the whole Easter 2016 menu, please follow the link.
[i] For more GAPS / PALEO recipe ideas please visit my GAPS recipes selection.