Low-carb lasagna without grains and tomato
Courgette ribbons turned out to be an excellent lasagna ingredient. I have left out the tomato sauce on purpose to create a nightshade-free meal but feel free to add if you are not avoiding them. I enjoyed this dinner more than any grain-based lasagne before.
You will need:
400 g minced lamb
2 large onions
1 cup bone broth
2 fat garlic cloves
3 tbsp duck fat
a good pinch of Himalayan rock salt
3 or 4 whole black peppercorns
4 large courgettes
1/2 cup finely grated Cheddar cheese (optional)
1. In a heavy pan melt 2 tbsp fat, add the thinly sliced onions and gently fry on low heat until the slices are softened and lightly coloured.
2. Add the minced garlic, fry until aromas are released.
3. Add the minced lamb and cook on medium heat, tossing with two wooden spatulas until it looses the red meaty colour and turns pale brown.
Tip: This step will prevent clumping.
4. Add the bone broth, season with salt and pepper. Cover with a lid and gently cook on low heat for about 30 to 35 mins.
5. With a vegetable peeler peel the courgettes into wide, long ribbons. Stop when you reach the seedy core. Separate the wide ones.
6. Spread the remaining 1 tbsp fat on the bottom of a rectangle pyrex dish (20 x 20 cm). Cover with the not so wide and not so long ribbons. Add the prepared meat as the next layer. Finally lay the wide and long courgette ribbons on top (laying in one direction). If using, lightly scatter some finely grated Cheddar cheese on top, if not, just brush the top of the courgettes with melted fat.
7. Place the dish into a preheated oven and bake at 180 C for about 25 to 30 mins. Serve hot. Enjoy!
[i] For more GAPS recipe ideas please visit my GAPS recipes selection.