Friday 24 February 2017

Spicy crispy kale (AIP)

Crispy kale (AIP)
Spiced up kale baked crispy in the oven

The is no ending to my love for this easy snack. When I present this humble treat to my guest all of them (even the children) are surprised with amazement how delicious the kale can be when baked into a crisp. When I say I have made some kale they most often make a face but after they have tried it they just love it. So if you haven't tried the crispy kale before I urge you to give it a go, you will be bewitched.

This time I have twisted the hundred times tried and hundreds more tested crispy kale recipe with a good hint of turmeric powder. Turned out to be brilliant! I just love to twist my old and well-tried recipes.

You will need:
200 g curly kale
2 generous tbsp coconut oil
1/2 to 1 scant tsp turmeric powder, depending how flavourful you like your kale

1. Rinse the kale leaves, shake off the water and pull the curly bits off the stem. Chop them roughly and put them in a mixing bowl.
2. Melt the coconut oil, add the turmeric powder to the melted oil, stir to 'dissolve', then pour onto the kale and stir to coat the leaves with the spiced oil.
3. Arrange the prepared kale pieces on two baking trays (I love my pyrex baking trays, no need for baking paper) in a single layer, nicely spaced out.
4. Put the trays into the preheated oven and make it crispy at around 125 to 135 C in about 10 to 12 mins. Enjoy fresh from the oven!

Notes: Please watch out not to brown your kale, when it happens you have over-baked it. I have found that tossing the kale pieces around with a wooden spoon, spatula or fork while there are in the oven helps them to crisp up. The kale pieces should be well coated with the oil, otherwise they will just dry out, more like a dried herb but we want them to be brittle and crispy.

No comments:

Post a Comment