A big bowl of steaming fried rice, GAPS and PALEO-style
No rice? No problem, cauli is the new rice. This bowl of fried cauli rice is filled with veggies, some eggs and a bit of meat to keep you full for longer.
Ingredients (feeds 4*):
1 medium-large cauliflower head
1 ladle of bone broth
3 small onions
5 tbsp coconut oil
2 young courgettes
1 small broccoli head
1 head cavolo nero (black kale)
1 chicken thigh, cooked, cold (or use any leftover meat you have in the fridge)
2 garlic cloves
1 cm fresh ginger
o.5 cm fresh turmeric
good pinch of coarse Himalayan rock salt
2 medium eggs
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1. Pull the kale leaves off the stem and tear them into smaller pieces. Break up the broccoli into florets (save the stem and stalk to make broth later), cut the florets in half. Steam the veggies for about 5 to 6 mins. Set aside.
2. Break up the cauliflower into florets (save the stalk to make broth later), put florets into a blender fitted with the S blade, and chop until coarse and rice-like.
3. Beat one egg with a fork, season with some black pepper and ground turmeric. Heat a small pan and fry the egg crepe until the top sets then turn and fry for a few seconds. Transfer to a plate. Beat the second egg, season and fry the same way. Keep the egg crepes warm between two plates.
4. Prepare the courgettes: cut off the ends, quarter lengthwise, cut out the seedy core (save them to make broth later or snack while you prepare the meal), cut into 2 inch batons. Cut the onions in half then slice them thinly.
5. Heat the wok to medium. Melt 1 tbsp coconut oil, add the thinly sliced onions and toss with two wooden spatulas for a minute or two, until some light browning appears on them. Set aside.
Tip: To keep the onions warm, put them in a large pyrex with a lid.
6. Melt another tbsp coconut oil, add the courgette batons, toss for a minute or two, until some light browning appears on them. Transfer to the pyrex to keep warm.
7. Melt another tbsp coconut oil, add the steamed broccoli, toss for a minute, then add the steamed kale, toss for a minute, then transfer the greens to the pyrex to keep them warm.
8. Melt another tbsp coconut oil, add the raw cauli rice, toss for a minute or two, add the bone broth, cover the wok with a lid, reduce the heat to minimum, and cook for 3 to 4 mins.
9. Meanwhile, melt the remaining tbsp coconut oil in a pan, add the thinly sliced garlic, ginger and turmeric, fry for a minute or two, until aromas are released, add the cold chicken pieces (skin and bone removed, then sliced), fry for a minute or two until the meat is warmed up and infused with the spices.
10. Add the previously fried veg (onions, courgettes, broccoli and kale) back to the cooked cauli rice, toss to combine.
11. Cut the two egg crepes into stripes or ribbons and add to the fried veg and rice. Toss to combine.
12. Finally, add the fried chicken thigh pieces, toss to combine. Season with some salt, if needed. Serve hot. Enjoy!
Tip: Season your bowl with few drops of sesame seed oil and a bit of coconut aminos, if you fancy.
* I believe this meal serves 4 people but me and my three years old ate it all in one go, the three years old eating the half of it, which means it is really REALLY good!
[i] For more GAPS recipe ideas please visit my GAPS recipes selection.