Gingery-garlicky cauliflower with baby bok choy
This tasty bowl was my 'Lunch for one' today. I needed a treat so I thought to myself YOU deserve all the extravagance today, dining alone, why eat the leftovers plain, jazz it up a little, and because I had the time the idea was followed by action.
The recipe will feed one so please double or triple the amount of ingredients if you are feeding more than just yourself.
You will need:
1 small head cauliflower
1 medium onion
1 generous tbsp coconut oil
1 bay leaf
2 fat garlic cloves
1 cm fresh ginger
1 cm fresh turmeric
2 young carrots
4 baby bok choy (pak choi)
4 small shallots
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
a wee pinch ground cinnamon
1 ladle bone broth (or vegetable broth for a VEGAN version)
olive oil, to serve
2. In a large pan melt the coconut oil, add the bay leaf and the finely chopped onion and saute until translucent.
3. Add the chopped cauliflower, stir to combine, cook on medium-high heat for a minute or two, then add the thinly sliced garlic, ginger and turmeric trio. Cook for a minute or two then reduce the heat to medium-low.
4. Add the turmeric powder and the ground cinnamon. Stir to combine and add the bone (or veg) broth. Gently cook for a few minutes.
5. When the liquid almost evaporated add the julienned carrots and quartered shallots. Stir to combine. Cook for a minute or two.
6. Finally add the halved baby bok choy. Stir to combine and cook for a few seconds. Drizzle with some olive oil. Ready to serve! Enjoy!
TIP: Use it as a side dish OR top with some protein and enjoy it as a main meal.
- For protein I have used leftover cooked liver. You can use tuna (in olive oil, well drained), patties or meat balls, pan-fried prawns, or Parma ham.
- For a more oriental taste season with some coconut aminos or fish sauce, for a refreshing kick squeeze on some lime juice, or just add some fresh herbs like oregano, sage or chives.