Simple yet majestic
This humble salad goes well with any cold meat and seriously rocks any festive table. It is made from my two favourite winter ingredients: sweet beetroot and salty sauerkraut.
You will need (feeds 4 to 6 people):
4 medium beetroots
400 g raw sauerkraut
2 small red onions
juice of a lemon
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
about 80 ml olive oil
2 to 3 whole black peppercorns, freshly grounded
1. Cook the beetroots (leave the skin on) in plenty of water until a fork goes through easily (about 45 mins). Let them cool down in their cooking liquid. You can rest the beetroots in the fridge overnight (in the liquid).
2. Peel the beetroots and dice them into bigger cubes. Put them into a mixing bowl.
3. Add the olive oil and mix thoroughly.
4. Thinly slice the red onions and add to the beetroot.
5. Gently squeeze out the juice (reserve for your bone broth cup) and slightly chop the sauerkraut and add to the bowl.
6. Season with the lemon juice, vinegar and black pepper. Mix thoroughly.
Serve, share and enjoy!
To see the whole Christmas 2015 GAPS menu, please follow the link.
[i] For more GAPS recipe ideas please visit my GAPS recipes selection.